ASU West Valley Campus
Oct 26, 2023
The School of Social and Behavioral Sciences in the New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University (ASU) is seeking four full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure-track Assistant/Associate Teaching Professors to teach in the on-campus undergraduate and graduate psychology programs. The anticipated start date is August 2024. Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in one or more of the following:
- sport psychology
- computational cognitive science
- industrial/organizational psychology
- positive psychology
The goal of these positions is twofold. First, they are intended to teach courses in support of the core intellectual clusters of the program, which are focused on cognition, behavior, and information (https://newcollege.asu.edu/cbi) and resilience in social environments (https://newcollege.asu.edu/rise). Second, these positions will expand the curriculum into new areas like industrial/organizational and sports psychology. The successful candidate(s) can expect to teach courses in their area of expertise, along with statistics and/or research methods. Teaching faculty typically teach 12 credits per semester (a 4/4 load), with opportunities for summer teaching. These teaching responsibilities comprise 80% of the workload, whereas service will comprise the remaining 20%.
About the School:
The School of Social and Behavioral Sciences offers 15 majors, five graduate programs, six certificates and 11 minors. With an academically rigorous, career-focused, student-centered approach, the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences at New College offers an unmatched educational experience. The mission of the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences is consistent with that of a metropolitan research university. A founding premise of the school is that the study of human behavior, social institutions and culture can be best understood through interdisciplinary perspectives that integrate diverse intellectual and methodological systems of inquiry.
The School of Social and Behavioral Sciences is housed within ASU’s New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences. More information about the School can be found at https://newcollege.asu.edu/ssbs and more information about the New College can be found at https://newcollege.asu.edu.
ASU is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real-world applications blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth-largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
All we do at ASU is guided and inspired by the University Charter, which reads:
ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom it excludes, but by whom it includes and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities it serves.
Successful candidates will demonstrate throughout their materials how their teaching and service will contribute to the fulfillment of this charter.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Develop, maintain, and teach on-campus undergraduate courses in relevant areas
- Supervise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students course assistants
- Participate in service activities that support the school, college, university, community, and/or profession
To be considered for an Associate Teaching Professor position, one must have at least five years of relevant teaching experience and have successfully gone through the promotion process at another institution
- Doctorate or terminal degree in psychology or a related field at time of hire
- Expertise (research or teaching) in one or more of the following areas of psychology: computational cognitive science, industrial/organizational psychology, positive psychology, or sports psychology
- Ability to effectively teach a variety of undergraduate psychology courses, including statistics and research methods
- Commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population, including first-generation college students
- Demonstrated excellence in course design and implementation and/or training in undergraduate pedagogy
We value a highly collaborative community and culture that prioritizes mutual respect, support, and collective success. Ideal candidates will demonstrate evidence of fostering collegiality through excellent communication and collaboration skills.