Deerfield Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced Counselor to start on August 15, 2021. We’re looking for a Counselor who cares deeply about the welfare of our students, works collaboratively with colleagues, and is committed to developing an inclusive community. As an institution, Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty. We also offer an outstanding working environment, excellent benefits, and students who are eager to learn.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire College, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are genuinely committed to their own growth, who are eager to work with colleagues to review the curriculum and programs we offer, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups, especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and educational background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- The primary responsibility will be to provide support and psychotherapy to our student body and their families.
- Other responsibilities include mental health programming and outreach, consulting with faculty, regular on-call shifts, crisis assessment and intervention, and support of peer counselors and proctors.
- The Counselor will report to the Director of Counseling and will also work with two other full-time Counselors.
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment, such as dining hall duties, committee work, and other routine duties.
- Required qualifications include eligibility for Massachusetts licensure as a psychologist or clinical social worker.
- Interest, experience, and demonstrated clinical skill working with adolescents across genders is essential.
- The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive with a lively and fast-paced workplace, a sense of humor, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- The ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers, administrators, staff, and outside professionals.
- Demonstrated multicultural competency
- The desire to work in a residential academic community.
Apply here for the Counselor position.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in Western Massachusetts with 650 students and 140 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.