Diversity and Inclusion Director
Locations: San Diego, CA
Posted: Jul 23, 2020
Closes: Open Until Filled
About Alliant International University:
Alliant International University’s mission is to provide students with the highest quality of education through innovation in scholarship, applied training and research, and community service, particularly to underserved populations. The University’s goal is to equip students with the competencies they need to improve the quality of human life by addressing major contemporary social issues. Core competencies of the University’s training programs include cultural diversity, which is infused in courses and field placements and is manifest in the diversity of its students and faculty.
The Director, Diversity and Inclusion, in partnership with the University President/CEO provides a broad range of leadership and support to the University’s international-multicultural initiatives. The Director works with and across all academic, operational, and administrative areas in implementing the University’s diversity and inclusion objectives and multicultural/international competencies.
The Director must be able to work closely and effectively with all constituents of the university: faculty, staff, students, alumnae/i, trustees, donors, and others; must represent the University with the highest degree of professionalism and competences; must articulate recommendations and positions clearly and effectively.
The Director will provide strategic leadership and administrative oversight in developing and enhancing efforts to create and sustain a culture that embraces, promotes, and prioritizes equity, diversity, and inclusiveness in the broadest meanings. Particular emphasis will be placed on the improvement of the existing inclusive culture and serving as an institutional change agent providing leadership, vision and collaboration in the delivery of a comprehensive range of services, policies, and procedures related to equity in diversity and inclusive excellence to increase the support and the ultimate success of students, faculty and staff. The Director will participate in all aspects of institutional planning to assist in meeting the needs of the diverse student, faculty and staff population and creating a learning and working environment where all have the opportunity to succeed and must address and help change any and all systematic racism within the university.
The Director must be a collaborative leader that leads to the development and delivery of programs and services designed specifically to increase persistence and graduation rates of students who have been historically underrepresented and underserved in higher education.
The Director will establish, in consultation with supervisor and staff, the overall department vision, goals, objectives, and strategic plans consistent with the mission and vision of the university. Initiates and participates in overall program development and assessment and organizes resources to achieve goals. Works with various university departments and various academic colleges/departments who focus on recruitment, retention, program completion, licensure rates, and the overall success of underrepresented students.
Duties & Responsibility:
• Provides leadership to the Systemwide IMERIT Committee, its standing committees, and ad hoc committees. Develop specific benchmarks and metrics to highlight the overall impact of the committee(s).
• Works closely with the President and others in the University to develop and implement a plan to achieve the IMERIT institutional objectives and multicultural/international competencies for students, staff, and faculty, and all areas of policy, strategy, and outcomes of the university.
• Works with the Board of Trustees Committee on Diversity and Inclusion to ensure multicultural/international competencies are a part of the university governance structure and execution.
• Models a stance of cultural humility and bringing knowledge and awareness related to social justice and diversity (e.g., racial and ethnic groups, LGBQ+ and transgender communities, social class, women, immigrants and refugees, disability, religion, and intersectional oppressions)
• Consults with and collaborates with senior leadership, administrative departments, and academic programs around diversity, equity, inclusion, multicultural and/or international initiatives and issues.
• Works with Human Resources on developing and monitoring a University Workforce Diversity Plan and works with other key University personnel to increase efforts in maintaining an accurate reflection of student, staff, & faculty diversity.
• Partner with Marketing and Communications to regularly communicate internal and external diversity and inclusion initiatives, events and progress.
• Identify, build, and sustain partnerships with student organizations, schools, and other stakeholders to support diversity and inclusion initiatives and strategies.
• Continuously review university organizational practices, policies, processes and structures across all of departments and units and functions to identify needed improvements towards achieving our diversity and inclusion goals.
• Works on grant proposals and other fundraising efforts to support IMERIT initiatives. Build relationships or partner with ethnic and inclusive organizations in the community, including potential CE opportunities.
• Develops and conducts training on cultural competence with staff and faculty.
• Oversees IMERIT’s web and portal presence.
• Perform other related tasks, duties and responsibilities as required, assigned or directed.
Education: Master’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent combination of education and relevant higher education/diversity experience; doctoral degree preferred.
Experience: Five (5) years work experience in higher education, preferably, in the area of diversity training, management, or multidisciplinary and/or multiethnic consultation.
Certifications, Licenses, etc.: None
• Demonstrated success leading and influencing, as an executive champion, the practice of diversity & inclusion
• Capabilities around and experience in leading the integration of multiple data sources (including primary and secondary research, social media) into clear, actionable insights and stories
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Ability to work with a diverse student, faculty and community is essential
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented organization
• Individual must possess superior interpersonal oral and written communication skills
• Flexibility, independence, tolerance for organizational complexity and ambiguity, and enthusiasm for the IMERIT agenda and for the mission of the University.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Please send resume, cover letter and three professional references.
For more information or to apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1967833