Required Experience Summary
- Experience and interest/specialty in providing psychotherapy, group therapy, outreach and support to the Asian American/Asian community
- Experience in providing clinical diagnosis and therapy
- 2 years experience working in a College Counseling Center is required
- Experience in working clinically with college students or college age clients and working with crisis situations including hospitalizations, suicidality, psychosis, Eating Disorders, academic management, working in a high demand environment etc..
- Experience in assessment, diagnosis and implementation of interventions for depression, anxiety, alcohol/drugs abuse and developmental concerns frequently faced by college students.
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse population while being aware of issues of difference, diversity, and social justice
Required Knowledge and Critical Skills:
• Demonstrated ability to manage the fluctuation of clinical caseload and maintain appropriate records in a timely manner.
• Sensitivity to and embracement of individuals that represent cultural, religious, ethnic, gender, sexual, and other forms of diversity.
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills. Ability to work as a team member within the Wellness Center and throughout campus.
• Understanding of and/or experiences in residential, liberal arts college environment.
Job Purpose: The Staff Psychologist provides mental health care in the form of psychotherapy (assessment, diagnosis and treatment through individuals, couples and group therapy), crisis intervention, training/outreach, and consultation to the students of the Claremont Colleges. These duties are preformed within the framework of authorized policies and protocols providing mental health care to students at the Claremont Colleges, Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services.
This position reports to the Director of MCAPS.
Clinical Responsibilities (Direct Client Care)
- Perform psychological assessment intakes for a student population
- Provide individual and couples short term psychotherapy treatment to this college population
- Provide Group therapy/modules/workshops in different topics of interest to the Claremont College student population
- Provide On-Call crisis duties including being part of the MCAPS on call rotation, conducting crisis assessments, providing crisis appointments for the students at the Claremont Colleges.
- Experience and interest/specialty in providing psychotherapy, group therapy, outreach and support to the Asian-American/Asian community
- Carry a clinical case load of up to 23-25 clients per week
- Provide students with referrals to therapist, psychiatrists or other professionals in the community when appropriate
- Provide re-entry evaluations for students returning from psychological medical leave for appropriateness to return to campus
Other Clinical Responsibilities
- Perform trainings/outreach/workshops to students, staff, faculty, student leaders, administrative officials of the Claremont Colleges in issues regarding psychological/emotional issues
- Participate in and perform outreach to the students/student groups of the Claremont Colleges
- Provide clinical supervision to the psychology interns and/or post-doctoral fellows of MCAPS
- Act as a Liaison between MCAPS and one or more of the Claremont Colleges or student centers
- Consult with other MCAPS staff, professionals, students, administrators, parents, college officials (with proper releases) regarding clinical issues/situations
- Compose client initial intake reports, progress notes and termination reports
- Attend weekly disposition meetings
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings
- Attend bi-weekly supervision of supervision meetings
- Attend Case Review Team meetings
- Participate in professional development opportunities and in-service training
- Other duties/projects as assigned
This is an exempt full time, ten month (August through May) position. The regular hours for this full-time position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday. Holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the organization or business unit. This department has an adjusted holiday schedule in which certain holidays are worked due to students being on campus.